Friday 3 August 2012

The Conversation: Seeing God.


Why can’t we see God?

What’s with the question?

Nothing really. It just popped into my head. But have you ever thought about that?

Not really.

Why?

I don’t know. I guess I just don’t question much where the matter of faith is concerned.

So you just believe in it blindly?

No. Just because I don’t question much does not mean I’m a blind follower.

But you’re not doing anything about it.

That is such a heavy accusation. So you’re saying being outspoken about faith is the only means to prove that I’m doing something about and for it? Why can’t we just lay low? I thought we are taught to be moderate and modest.

But we need to speak up. We need to assert our voice.

Moderate is not mediocre. Although mediocre might be listed as one of the synonyms, but mediocre, the word, it just has this some sort of negative vibe around it. Being moderate has nothing to do with our strength. Different people have different ways of showing their devotion. I’m just not one of those loud people. I respect them for having the guts. But whatever they’re doing does not get to trivialise my way of fighting for my belief. So you don’t get to say that I’m not doing anything about it.

Ok, ok. My bad. Let’s just refocus. Why do you think we can’t see God?

That depends. We choose how we want to see things you know.

But God isn’t just a thing.

True. But He could be among those things.

Meaning?

I guess it depends how you define ‘seeing’. It could be seeing things literally. Or metaphorically. Try asking that questions to four or five people and I’m pretty sure you’d get various responses. Interesting ones. Some people would say, they see God. They might mean that literally. Or figuratively. But you cannot say they’re wrong. Because that’s how they define ‘seeing’.

So what would you say about it?

I’d say, I do. That I see God. Metaphorically of course. I guess it’s the best form of existence for us.

Why is that?

Metaphorical view of the existence of God makes me a better believer. I learn how to appreciate little things in life. Abstract or subtle things. I 'see' better. It isn't just about seeing literal things anymore. It's about expanding your view and looking through things instead of looking at them. 
*pause*
I think it’s our nature to analyse anything that is tangible. Question and criticise. If we could see everything in life, we would doubt so many things. We need some vagueness in life. We need some grey area. You could see some white, some black. But you are never too sure. There will always be some room for unanswered questions.
*pause*
Some people are just so analytical, critical, sceptical. Imagine if those people could see God literally? Some of us just like to find faults in others. They live just to bring others down. If God appeared before us physically, our faith could get compromised because like it or not, we’d have our first impression of God, playing at the back of our mind. Having first impression is normal. But what if God was not as what we expected Him to be? Would we stop believing in Him? If everything was so clearly delineated, we would stop learning. We would take things for granted. That is why we need some ambiguity. Some mystery. To evoke curiosity in us. To make us learn. To keep us going. To be alive.

How do you see God?

Through every single thing that I see around me. Every second. Existence isn’t about marking your being. It isn’t about physical existence. For me, it’s about the impact of your being. It’s about your contributions to others. I could feel Him around me through His creations. I could see His significance. That works with humans too you know.

How so?

If somebody asked you about me, what you think of me, how you see me, you would highly likely think about my deeds. You would think about how I make you feel when I’m around you. It’s all about what you feel subsequent to what I do or say. The impact of my being.

It’s interesting how you said you don’t really question about faith that much but you answered my question so beautifully as if you had everything perfectly arranged at the tip of your tongue.

Not questioning is not the equivalent of not thinking. Just because some people are quiet about whatever that is going on in their mind does not mean they are brain dead.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...