Monday 2 April 2012

Seeing Colours


Hi. I’ve been searching for ideas to write in this entry, but, I admit that I lack adventure as an impetus for ideas in my writing. Nonetheless, as an introvert, studying myself inwardly is already an adventure. So, please bear with me for a little while longer for I am about to share with you a condition that some people in this world are experiencing, and that is SYNAESTHESIA (some spell it Synesthesia).


I was completely unaware of the existence of such term until the very last semester of my Degree years. I was browsing the website called “Pianostreet” and was reading the forum threads till I stumbled upon it-SYNAESTHESIA. I did some research and found one journal reviewing about it as what I've stated in the following:


What is SYNAESTHESIA?
Synesthesia (Greek,  syn = together +  aisthesis = perception) is the involuntary physical experience of a cross-modal association. That is, the stimulation of one sensory modality reliably causes a perception in one or more different senses. Its phenomenology clearly distinguishes it from metaphor, literary tropes, sound symbolism, and deliberate artistic contrivances that sometimes employ the term "synesthesia" to describe their multisensory joinings.

Source: Cytowic, R.E. (1995) Synesthesia: Phenomenology and Neuropsychology, A review of Current Knowledge. 


In a simpler term, Synaesthesia is used to describe the involuntary mixture of multisensory. Everything makes sense to me since the day I found out of this matter. I could still remember as a little girl, I always looked at the clock and saw colours floating on the numbers. I thought I was making it up, that I was being highly imaginative. But I was not. Until now, I can see light pink for number 4, I see green for number 5, I see red for number 6. All numbers have their own colours and their own sensations that move me inside. That’s not all. I got very anxious when the clock struck 10 p.m., which makes me feel as if I would not have enough time to live the day. I'm the calmest when the clock struck 5 p.m.


After that discovery, I began to realize that the colours that I'm seeing were not only limited to numbers but to alphabets too (both Jawi and Rumi), which I thought quite unbelievable. A is white, B is brown, C is orange, D is brown again, E is yellow, F is light pink, and etc. However, I have not seen colours yet for musical chords or notes except for the song Konayuki which I always see it as purple. I wrote a poem questioning why I see the colour purple every time I listen to it before I even found out that I’m a Synaesthete.

Now that I’ve grown up, the extremity of the condition has lessened a little bit. I’m not sure why though. Perhaps, I have always told myself that I was not seeing colours and have always corrected that error in my head. I can still see the colours but not as prominently as I used to see them.

If you sense that you might have this condition like I do, take this test at http://www.synesthete.org/. And happy discovering your unique trait!

Last but not least, find out more about Synaesthesia in this video:





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...