Friday 16 November 2012

Discipline

Image source: http://joelrunyon.com/two3/get-disciplined-not-motivated



Hello everyone. I am pretty much driven to write today though I know some people might find it a little bit boring because today’s post is about DISCIPLINE.

Okay. I am sure that in your head you are wondering “Why discipline?”.

I don’t know. Just feel like writing about it.

As a working woman now (I’m still adjusting to adulthood), what I learn these few months is I have got to be disciplined. Before I begin writing further about it, let us enlighten our mind as to the actual definition of discipline.


According to oxforddictionaries.com, discipline is
the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behaviour, using punishment to correct disobedience


According to thefreedictionary.com, discipline is
1. Training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior, especially training that produces moral or mental improvement.
2. Controlled behavior resulting from disciplinary training; self-control.
3.
a. Control obtained by enforcing compliance or order.
b. A systematic method to obtain obedience: a military discipline.
c. A state of order based on submission to rules and authority: a teacher who demanded discipline in the classroom.
4. Punishment intended to correct or train.
5. A set of rules or methods, as those regulating the practice of a church or monastic order.


Comparing these two sources, I would prefer thefreedictionary.com for its holistic definitions and the applicability of the definitions to a wider range of circumstances.


All right. Getting back to my original intention of writing this post, I would like to emphasise the importance of discipline in our daily routines. With discipline, I learn to refrain myself from buying compulsively (groceries and books mostly. I wonder why I tend to buy a lot of groceries..), and dining out too much, whilst sticking to my piano practice routines , preparing lessons for the next day and completing other extra tasks even when I don’t want to.


Discipline is not only to control behaviour but also the mind, heart and soul. 


I realize that if I don’t help myself today, no one is going to help me tomorrow.
Responsibilities are responsibilities. I can never get away from them.


As Chopin had quoted,
"Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on."


I’ll take it this way. Every duty avoided will be a cause to disturb my sleep later on.

And I totally hate the idea of sacrificing my sleeping hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...